Monday, August 15, 2005

Emotional Suffering.... Then What ?

If you will click on the title of this post you will be taken to an article which recently recounts a trip that the author made to Sri Lanka. The author wanted to witness the cleanup and rebuilding that is occurring as a result of the Tsunami.

I was reminded as I read this article: Life throws us severe emotional trauma sometimes. There is a scripture in the Bible that says, "the
rain falls on the just and the unjust".

If suffering in our lives can be totally random, what is the best way to deal with it ? My belief is that we only have one thing we can control: the choices we make. We can make a choice of what meaning we will give to a happening that has occurred in our life. Whether it is a tsunami, loss of a family member, spouse or child, end of a relationship, financial ruin, severe health trial, sexual or physical abuse etc., we will always have this choice.


Ultimately, the choice we have to make is to choose happiness and love over sadness and hurt. Unfortunately, life goes on in the midst of trials, and sometimes it feels like you can't even get your feet underneath you.

Making a positive "choice" may sound too "pie in sky" or too fluffy. I once felt that this perspective minimized my difficulty. I didn't believe one could choose in a moment to view even the worst of circumstances in a useful way. I will suggest two books for you to read:

Happiness Is A Choice - by Barry Neil Kaufman
Man's Search for Meaning - by Victor Frankl

4 Comments:

At 5:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article! Thanks for sharing!
You are correct in saying that no matter what circumstances, life does go on. Moving ahead is often the most difficult thing to do because when problems arise they hurt and often hurt bad. The NET that you offer to your patients is a great alternative, I think, for folks to be able to realize that there are charges that affect current thinking and emotions. Educating the public how past pain affects current life issues would help them realize that new problems coming up can be dealt with much more effectively.

 
At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing we can control is our decisions. Our choice. I have read Happiness is a choice. Sadly I forgotten about it as it sits nicely with my other inspiring books collecting dust.

My choices have been leading me down a road far away from where I want to be. Reading your comments is a reminder we all have control of our decisions. it makes me tear up remembering my "good days"

I agree with your comments and books you recommended. Happiness is a Choice, and I also recommend that book to everyone.. including myself. I will dust it off today. It is high time to do so...

We are powerful!

 
At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post strengthens me again!

 
At 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Powerful antivirus Largest automotive aftermarket retailer

 

Post a Comment

<< Home