Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Validation of The Placebo Effect

If you will click on the link above you will read a great article about the placebo effect. For years, this "effect" as it has been called was used to explain why people will get well with a sham treatment. Of course these sham treatments are usually anything that the medical community believes has little or no scientific support or validity. The treatments are usually outside of their excepted paradigm for healthcare.

I have always told my patients that I could care less whether they got well because of some treatment they explored, a nutritional or herbal remedy that was taken or because they believed they would get better. What I care about as a practitioner is whether or not my patients health picture improves. I can try to prove later why what we did works, but in the mean time people are suffering and need healing.

I will let the researchers' go about the heady work of trying to prove how the human body works. It has been said that at this stage of our human existence, we know approximately 1 percent of all there is to know about the human body. I think I'll let someone else spend the next million years trying to figure out the other 99%.


At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful article! I think the subject of Mind-Body connection is a fascinating one. The movie, "What the $%^&&Bleep Do We Know" comes to mind. I would highly recommend seeing it.


Post a Comment

<< Home